Set adrift on Memory Bliss of Jake

Thursday, July 20, 2006

I wanted to post this morning but as I write, I guess I'm not sure what exactly about. It's not guilt. I'm not posting to fulfill my personal quota of posting.

No, I saw a picture today that really kinda shook me in my core. I wish I had this pic. It was forwarded to me in an email billed as NBC's photos of '05. Regardless of if these were actually phots of the year, one shot grabbed me. This one was of a child, maybe 2 or 3, being held by her father who is, by his uniform, in the military. His dog tags are wrapped up in both of her hands I believe and her face is crumpled in sheer sadness. Sorry I haven't posted the pic, I'm technologically challenged.

In my opinion, the photo leads you to believe that he is leaving, again maybe, and that she fully knows and understands. The pain that I see on her face is hard to understand. It's hard for me to believe that this child, this infant, fully grasps the depth of the situation. I wonder if my daughter has that capacity. I know she must. This is not a stab at how mature the feelings of a 2 year old are. To be honest, a 2 year old most likely destroys me in a battle of "genuine unguarded heat feelings". In my mind, the core of that photo is love. It's pure. It's basic, not in a demeaning way but in a natural state way. Somehow, something in her just feels it and it pours from her uncontrollably.

There's really not a point. I haven't written with agenda. this is not to make you laugh, to make you sad, or to make you think Jake is so sensitive. It's not a spiritual post comparing this father and child to our relationship with God.

It's just one of those things. There are so many other useless feelings during the day like stress, frustration, worry, apathy(if you can feel apathetic), and boredom. It's just when something like this draws love and compassion from you, it just feels right.

Jake

2 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger Wayj said...

it reminds me a lot of your sermon a few weeks ago (your remember that one?) as one of those "think on these things" sort of moments.

there are so many things to distract us but only a few things that are just worth our time and contemplation. even though i didn't see it, i think you described it well enough because i've been thinking about it all afternoon.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Alli Miller said...

"...the core of that photo is love. It's pure. It's basic, not in a demeaning way but in a natural state way. Somehow, something in her just feels it and it pours from her uncontrollably."

Excellently put Jake. With or without intending it, you've given me a reminder of the way love has its effects, internally and externally.

Goodness gracious, that little scrunched up face gets to my heart...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home