Set adrift on Memory Bliss of Jake

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I am a Softball player

Loudly and proudly I profess one of my identities. Yes softball, the soft, white, pudgy underbelly of athletic activity. To make it better(or worse) it's church softball. That means that we have to try and be nice while we play and we pray before and after each game. Regardless, I think I take it too seriously. A lot of you who know me know that I don't take much serious and if softball is one of those things, it might be funny. I've never been a real athlete. I don't know what I mean when I say that. I guess in the least, I've never been payed to play a sport. In fact, I've probably been closer to being payed not to play a sport by several teammates.

Still, I am human and I know that there is a competitive fire that burns within me. Notice, I didn't say that I'm a "guy" and that's why I'm competitive because I think that's total crap. I've seen just as tense if not worse displays of pride and competitiveness in the female world. But I digress.

What really gets me is the fact that I am a large man and I cannot hit a softball. For my size alone, I think I'm supposed to hit that ball a mile away but I can't. It's always been that way. I've matured in my hitting to where I've learned some consistency but never distance or power. My desire led me to search out online batting techniques before our first game this season. That's even funny to me. I'm sitting in my office gripping a ruler mimicing the guy on the 45 second video that I've downloaded to revolutionize my swing. I do have to tell you that I crushed a small ball of wadded up paper. From my desk, I almost hit the wall of my 10 x 10 office(and I was sitting in the middle of the room). Amazingly enough though, I hit 2 triples in my first game this year and convinced several guys on the team that I was going to kill the ball this year. WRONG. 3 games and countless(okay, it's 9) popups later, I'm again at a loss.

I played last night and hit really well but it's because I abandoned everything I learned online that day. So I'm back at the beginning. I'm now accepting batting techniques by blogger comment. Fire away.

4 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger Alli Miller said...

Keep your eye on the ball. Trash talk as much as possible. (It's even funnier if you aren't very good at whatever sport you are playing.)

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger jessica said...

Hit it, swing level and run like the devil.

I was never any good at the actual sport, but I loved cheering from the dugout.

Homerun hit it, hit, homerun hit, hit h-o-h-om-homerun....

My personal fave....
Repeat after me:
Hey, hey, hey, hey #2 (insert any number)
(repeat)
We've got our eye on you
(repeat)
And what we like most of all (repeat)
Is the way you bust that ball. (repeat)

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Jake said...

Kirk,
I'm trying to tell you that I hit like a little pip sqeak right now.

So Yes, teach me, sensei.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Jake said...

Hank,

I don't know what post to delete first. Yours or the nutball above you.

Jake

 

Post a Comment

<< Home